Friday, February 18, 2011

a vegan week

Since Monday my husband and I have been vegans.  I know, it's crazy to me too.  I wanted to challenge myself to see if I could do it.  I wanted to see how my body would respond.  I wanted to test my will power, but of course I felt like I couldn't do it alone.  My meat and potato loving husband took the challenge with me in solidarity.  What a trooper.  I'm such a fan of that man.  

Anyway, we have successfully made it through the work week as vegans.  It was not as bad as I thought, but I couldn't be more ready for a slice of pizza!  (random that pizza is the thing I want to break it)  Over the past five days, I've learned a few things about vegan-dom, about myself and about the food I eat.  

I've learned that: 

- There are actually a decent amount of vegan choices, it was easier to buy prepared food than I thought it would be and incredibly easy to make dinners at home.  
- I really love Trader Joe's.  
- I will now pay way more attention to what I am putting into my body.  
- I can do anything I really set my mind to.  
- I feel much lighter but also more tired.  
- It's amazing how much I didn't miss meat.  
- It's amazing how much I DID miss butter and cheese.  
- Asian food is great for a vegan diet.  
- I don't need sugar and milk in my tea, it's actually pretty good without it.  
- I have a huge amount of respect for people who can maintain this lifestyle.  

I loved the challenge to not use my go-to options for cooking dinner and making lunch.  I loved that it forced me to really think about what I was eating.  And I love that we made it, because to be honest, I didn't really think we would.  I don't think I could ever maintain such a strict diet indefinitely, but I do know that moving forward,  I will take components of the vegan lifestyle and incorporate them into my daily life.  

We did it!  Go us.  But for tomorrow...bring on the pizza.  And extra cheese on mine, please!  

1 comment: