We got an ice cream maker as a wedding gift and it has changed my life! I have found a new passion, making ice cream! I love to get creative and come up with new flavors. Honestly, as soon as I finish making a batch, I am already dreaming up what the next one will be.
My best one yet?
RED VELVET CAKE ICE CREAM.
Here's what I did. I've got this great recipe for a sweet cream base ice cream. (recipe to follow) I usually make that and then add whatever my heart and tummy are craving.
I found these little beauties. Red Velvet Whoopie Pies.
So I cut them up and added them to the ice cream maker.
Then I put in some big chunks and mixed all it up before putting it in the freezer. My husband and I have an ongoing discussion as to what's better...big chunks of goodness or small nibbles all spread out. So naturally, I do both!
This ice cream was so good. Really, SOO good! In every bite you'd get some cake and ice cream, then once in a while you'd get a little surprise bite of icing. Amazing!
Here's the recipe for my sweet cream base, as well as a few tips from this self proclaimed awesome ice cream maker.
SWEET CREAM BASE
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups whipping cream
1 cup milk
Beat the eggs until light and fluffy. Whisk in the sugar, a little bit at a time. Pour in the cream and milk. Turn on your ice cream maker and slowly add the mixture. Let it "churn" for about 25-30 minutes.
- Add anything you want to this, it will be amazing! Get creative and let your cravings guide you.
- When you add candy or cookies or whoopie pies, do it only in the last five minutes otherwise it will all sink to the bottom.
- After about 30 minutes, the ice cream will be soft serve consistency. Put it in the freezer for a few hours if you want it to be harder.
- You can use low-fat milk and cream, but it doesn't always freeze as well. So my advice is to not feel guilty about it, consider it a real treat and just ENJOY!
- My other favorite add in so far? Mint Oreos. Yup.
Life is sweet, ice cream is a treat. GO make some! It'll make you smile and feel all giddy inside. I Promise.